We’ve all been there, staring at the computer with an endless collection of cleansers starring right back, contemplating which cleanser was actually made for your skin type.
A good skincare routine consists of different steps including toning, hydrating, exfoliating, protecting…, some of these habits are a must, others are extras, but some are nonnegotiable, and cleansing is definitely one.
Cleansing is the act of clearing your face of unwanted substances from the skin’s surface. A facial cleanser or wash clears your skin of dirt, sweat, bacteria, excess sebum, dead skin cells and residual make up; helps unclog pores and maintain a healthy glowing complexion, it should be done twice daily, in the morning & at night.
Why it is essential to know which cleanser suits your skin type?
When it comes to cleansers, there is no ‘one type fits all’, and choosing the wrong cleanser can lead to dryness, irritation & acne. So how do you actually know which cleanser suits your skin type?
First, know your skin type;
- Oily skin ; appears as ‘shiny’ or ‘greasy’
- Dry skin ; appears as ‘flaky’
- Combination skin ; oily T zone & Dry U zone
- Normal Skin; perfectly balanced.
Second, know your skin concern;
- Very sensitive
Finally, know your preference, which cleansing texture do you prefer?
Cleansers are available in many different forms including
- Gel Cleansers
- Cream Cleansers
- Foam Cleansers
- Oil Cleansers
- Powder Cleansers
- Soap cleansers
- Micelle water
- Cleansing wipes
All Textures serve the same benefit, but each suits a specific skin type & concern.
- If you have oily skin
- A cleanser that helps manage excess oils without overly drying the skin
- A non-comedogenic gentle foam, gel, and/or exfoliating cleansers
- If you have dry skin
- Cleansers that offer hydration and nourishment along with basic cleansing.
- Cream cleansers are often the best facial cleansers for people with dry skin. Look for products that are formulated using glycerin and emollients such as petrolatum, ceramides & lanolin which retains moisture.
- If you have combination skin
- A product that both hydrates and moisturizes. A mild, balanced cleanser is the best choice.
- Acne – Prone Skin
- Cleansers containing salicylic acid , glycolic acid or benzoyl peroxide
- Ageing or pigmented skin
- contains antioxidants, such as Rose Flower Oil and Vitamin E
Great skin is not simply a matter of DNA — your daily habits have a big impact on what you see in the mirror. The game of skin Care routine is a very tricky one , with the countless products available on the market , it’s a confusing one as well , however , once you understand the criteria , how , why and what to look for in your skin care products , and once you do find the right products , no exaggeration , you can call it a turning point in your life .